Starting Over Is Not Easy ... Mother Baby Child Blog

I was over 35 when I gave birth to Baby Max. My middle son was 11 years old and my older son had just turned seventeen. It wasn't easy starting over again ... Mother Baby Child is a blog to share parenting experiences, as well as what marriage is like after being a single mom for so many years. Get info on having a baby, raising children, babies, tweens, teens, homeschooling, mom blogs, work at home mom. business marketing, Christian and celebrity moms blog posts.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. ~ Philippians 4:13 (KJV)
Meet The Mom Blogger | Baby Videos | Freebies / Giveaways | Daily Blog Hops
WAHM Business | Mom Blog Marketing | Google + Moms Community

Should I Give My Baby A Pacifier?

Is it ok to give my baby a pacifier?
Picture of Newborn Baby Max - 2 Days Old - December 2011

Although the nurse advised against my using a pacifer in the hospital, I am SO GLAD that I made her bring us one. I also suggest that all breastfeeding mothers have one ready once their baby is comfortable feeding and doing well with it. In our case, my baby was able to distinguish between whether he wanted to nurse or suckle by the time he was 2 1/2 weeks. He would instinctively reach one hand to his mouth and do a quick poke to signify that he was checking for his pacifier. On the other hand, he would rub both hands and make a quick panting sound when he wanted to nurse. This was extremely helpful to my adjusting breasts because he was only using them to eat (i.e. babies can become adamant about wanting suckle on the breast and this can become painful situation).

In case you're wondering ... NO, he does not consistently want nor rely on the pacifier 24 hours a day. Our baby learned how to pop his pacifier out by week 2. At first, it was an accident, but by week 3, he could, clumsily, push it out with his index finger. He was letting is drop out of his mouth when ready to nurse or coo - "popping it out" - soon after.

Coming into the world is not an easy adjustment for babies. It is our job to make it as comforting and safe as possible. Do not hesitate to use a pacifier if you think that your baby needs it. There are all different types - even a style suggested to prevent S.I.D.S. - try a few and see which your baby prefers. Our baby will block the pacifier with his tongue when he wants the other style (NUK) or does not want a pacifier at all.

Did your nurse advise against giving your baby a pacifier? Did you give your baby a pacifer? Let us know your experience in the comment section below!


In Motherly Love,
Mother Baby Child

0 comments:

Post a Comment